Painting window frames 1 - 2010

August 2010 - At Marina Cortez Harbor Island, San Diego, CA
 As written by Debbie - "Chip thought it might look good to paint the window frames of the forward-facing windows White (they are now a flaking brown) so I took on the project as I needed to work on something that gave immediate, satisfying results that was not too difficult.
(My last project was re-caulking the inside and outside of the cap rail. We still have one leak in the galley so I am quite disappointed.) I prepped the window with blue tape around all edges and on face of the window. I tried sanding with the red pad Chip gave me but my hand strength gave out. I then remembered we had these red pads for the electric sander so switched to that. The pad didn't seem to take off much of the old brown paint so I consulted Chip who said I could go up to 220 grit sandpaper. Luckily we had that for the electric sander...this worked much better! The old brown paint came off only to reveal another layer of tan paint. I removed as much of that as I could. I wiped off the surface with a dry rag then Chip suggested I use the Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid product to clean it of the debris from sanding as it would not effect the paint - this worked very well. I was surprised that time allowed for a coat of paint so I proceeded with that. We decided on Interlux Brightside White # 4359 "one-part polyurethane paint - it is glossy, durable, and easy to use". It applied easily with a sponge brush although I used too much - I was not accustomed to a paint that did not cover well in a first coat. So, I will sand the drips before putting the next coat on and know better for the other window!"
The color has probably changed over the years.
The paint has come off some spots and when washing the boat it can bleed onto the white gel coat. We used a color chart from Interlux paint to match the white paint. We decide we liked white better than the brown.

As for the side windows, well I would like to replace them. They are not in bad shape and I think were not replace too long ago. There is some lite crazing in places but not a lot. If we replace them the frames will be white.

We also may cover them with some sun block fabric. If we do that there is not need to paint the frames either. So just (yea just as if it is easy) the front windows for now.

This shows the front windows as they are now.
As they are\were - There is more crazing on these windows than the side windows.
Mostly taped, Debbie then tapped the open area

No comments:

Post a Comment