Painting forward window frames - 2010

August 2010 - At Marina Cortez Harbor Island, San Diego, CA

The front winnow project has become a problem.
We were just going to paint the frames white. Along the way one window got sanded a bit by the electric sander and the blue tape has messed with the film on the outside of the windows leaving lines. They still need a couple coats of paint. We went sailing with some work friends and removed all the blue tape because it looked so awful. I think I can now still get a couple coats on without the tape as the edges look fine.
In these photos you can not see the lines or sanding marks.

 It may be we can get the tape marks off and at a Catalina Ass. Meting a guy named Gary said you can sand and buff the plastic windows to like new. Gary used to own “Horizon Marine Service”, he is off in Mexico cruising now I think. He has done it and said customers were very surprised at the great outcome. So we will try that out as a last resort.

So we have started thinking about replacing them.

We want to use glass.

They are curved by 3/8 chamfer.

Makes using glass not easy.

It has been done but the owner does not know where in Portland the PO got the glass.

I have been in touch with Bomon and they are sending me the plans for the windows they made for another 1978 Freeport owner.

Bomon said to do glass I would need to router out some surface to make it more flat or they could not guarantee that they would not leak.
bomon.com/
They make the windows with the aluminum frames.

Bomon said it is the UV that causes the non glass windows to haze up.

They made them in plastic not glass.

So the research will continue.

I got a price of $270.00 for each from Bomon.

They cannot chamfer the glass for that price. It would be mostly straight and that is where the router would come in.

“I know it can be done, as the front two on Eagle are curved, tinted safety glass in extruded aluminum frames to match the sides. Unfortunately they were done by the PO in Portland Oregon so I am not able to forward any info. The good thing is that we did not have to pay to have it done! 8-) cuz I am sure that it was not an inexpensive venture"

Another couple of  posts interest:

"We had our windows made by Bomon also, they have to be going on ten years old by now. They look as good today as when we put them in. I had my first leak this spring, it took under ten mintues to take out the window over the stove to see what was wrong. I had pinched the gasket when I installed them. They go in dry [no sealant] and use a gasket for sealing. Bomon uses a very sturdy frame made of aluminum, this I like to think gives a little more strength to the sides of the cabin over the ones I took out. "

"Don and I each bought a set of windows from Mark Plasticsin
may of '99. Mark was very resistant to giving us a volume discount,
saying that his manufacturing costs really don't decrease
significantly when he does two sets at the same time. I tend to
believe him. It's a very small company and I think there is a LOT of
hand work in fabricating these windows. Don and I did get a good
deal on the installation, mostly because I think Mark wanted to spend
a few days in the SF area and we were able to split his very modest
travel costs.

In retrospect, I could have done the installation myself. No rocket
science involved, just time and care. People outside of California
should not have a problem; people close to Mark Plastics can decide
for themselves.

Basically, I think he did a great job for me, at a fair price, on
both the windows and the installation. They look great and after 1.5
years have not even THOUGHT about leaking (knock wood).

For an F-36, you can replace any portion of
2 small front windows
6 big side windows
2 medium windows in the cabin aft bulkead (to cockpit)
2 small cockpit door windows

Trim color on both inside and outside is only white; his supplier
doesn't do brown any more. There are a couple of choices of window
color; apparently most people pick a slightly darkened, "smoke" color
to reduce interior brightness.

If your interior trim is in good shape, you can re-use it and save
$200 or $300. But you have to remove and ship the trim to him so he
can match up the screw-holes. Bit of a hassle, but I did it because
I wanted to keep the teak-color plastic trim rather than go to white.

And the interior trim on my boat was in good shape, fortunately.

He won't do Lexan, only poly. Says the lexan doesn't bend properly
and will tend to create leaks by trying to straighten and pull out
the frame.

A full set of windows cost about $1700-$1800 in 1999, not counting
installation. Don't know what he would charge for local (southern
California) installation, but the good news is the whole job is done
in just about 1 day! Delivery time was about 5 or 6 weeks.

If you have any other questions just ask. Believe it or not, I DON"T
get a finder's fee from Mark, I just think he is a hard-working
business man who actually cares about doing a good job.
"
0 think it is about $3200,00 noew for all th windows.

Mark Plastics
369 E. Harrison St., Unit G
Corona, CA 92879
Tel: (951) 735-7705
Fax: (951) 735-0701

No comments:

Post a Comment