Foam mattress

When we first got the boat it had the original mattress. It was in really good shape but lets face it, it had been on the boat for thirty years and smelled a bit like diesel fuel etc.


Not knowing exactly what we want in a mattress we decide to replace it with foam. I got the hardest foam I could find from keystone in San Diego.

Keyston Bros

One thing we might of done differently is make the mattress a bit smaller.

I think I brought the old foam pad to Keystone and had the new one cut to the same size. One side is chamfered to fit the hull. It is a bit tight to make the bed.

Debbie decided her side was too firm. We got some memory foam 1” I think thick from mail order and cut off a couple of inches from the top of her side and placed the memory foam there.

I also cut the mattress down the middle a little to port side and then that piece in about half. That gave us access to the two hatches below the mattress.

So far so good! We will make a decision sometime next year on a mattress.
We also lined some of the hull and headboard with 1" closed cell foam for warmth.




No comments:

Post a Comment