OK I was in a hurry and cutting corners on wiring the Air Breeze wind generator - fire! - 2012

Wiring up the Air Breeze wind generator(WG) was on my to-do list for the night.
Got the cable ends on by the switch for the two reaming cables and re-routed them to the MASTERVOLT house batteries batteries.
We cut the cables cut to length and put lugs on the end of the cables. Then I connected them to the batteries. 
 They are a little long at this time because they may in the end need to be connected directly to the batteries and not to the bus. Also these may not be our final batteries before sailing south.
  In my haste I bypassed the breaker, not wiring it up.😓
 The #6 cable s are a bit heavy and do not conform to the small space where the switch is mounted. I forced the cables into the space.😝

 All done and I turned on the switch; it started to smoke and a lot!

 Not good, I switched it off but too late and it did not matter, the switch caught on fire!

The cables now were loose on the back of the switch, floating in melting plastic and shorting out.

No emergency switch to shut off!

No breaker to blow!

Crap! Debbie went for a fire extinguisher. I got a red positive cable off but not without some arching as it pulled right off the switch with the screw and all on it. The switch was melting good.

The cables got really hot all the way to the batteries.
With the switch pulled out and the cables disconnected from the switch the wires cooled down.
  • So we lost an expensive switch.
  • The WG is not wired up.
  • We are hoping the WG is not fried.

Lesson learned (think I said that before some place).
Wire up breaker.
Wire in an on\off emergency switch.
Don’t force things.
Read the directions first.

Hmm which one is the most important, guess they are just as important. Plus I think the order could be different 😊

OK we still have the boat, bottom line. (Not a good pun)

Now I think it is time to clean up the wiring behind the nav station and pull back a little on the hurry up.

Darn, wanted to see the dam thing spinning around!

No comments:

Post a Comment