Confused by all this solar panel wiring


 OK I was confused by all this solar panel wiring issue. I talked to some doc mates last knight and what I found out was I bought the wrong box on the solar panels. I should have ordered the “J Box” and then we could have paralleled the three panels together. Then run a larger wire to the junction box. These panels are on top of our bimini. We will still need a junction box because we have a solar panel on top of our dodger and it needs separate wiring. Not having a “J Box” and not knowing that is what I could have gotten is what was messing me up. The box on each solar panel we have now has two wires coming from it and the cannot be paralleled. 


That is OK as we just need to run six wires to the junction box instead of two big ones. It will work out fine.
 Now that that is under stood I think I understand what needs to be done now.

We will run from the bimini solar panles (the three solar panels we are installing) a #10 wire (+ -) from each panel to the junction box.  Each 135 watt panel is sending 7 amps to the junction box so a #10 wire for the 15 – 25 run one way would be fine.  That would be at 25’ a 2.9% drop at 7 amps.

Our run from the junction box to the 30241 Duo controller and then to the batteries is just over 16’ so we will go with #4 cable. We have #6 now but we only have the one 135 watt panel hooked up.

 This may turn out to be handy any way as each solar panel has plugs on the wires which in case of a hurricane can be un-plugged and removed easily. Thea are all water tight and seal nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment