Engine mount bolt chewed up? Oh no.

What’s worse a stripped out engine mount bolt in a hard to get at hard to see spot or a nuclear attack?
I am thinking a nuclear attack😜
March 2012 - We are currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico (by Puerto Vallarta)
OK it is not stripped out but if we are not careful it could get to be that way.
 Yes I should have could have just cut the ground from the engine to the mast (lightning) off and put a new one in another location. Did I do that NO! I at the time thought if the bolt turns easily then just take it out and replace the ground and put the bolt back in. Sounds simple enough right?
 So the bolt turned easy enough but then as it was coming out it got tight again and then got tight again etc. 
Got the bolt out and it has a few chewed up threads. Hmmm I bet the threads inside the engine block are chewed up a bit too.
Yes it is just right by the oil filter, which is leaking.
 Got to pick the spot that is the headiest to get at. The oil filter needs to be replaced anyway as it is leaking but it is still not a good spot.
So now what?

At least  the camera can see it😏

 My thinking, here I go again, is to purchase a tap and run it up inside the engine block fixing the threads if they are damaged.

Then purchasing a new bolt.

 Then put some Lock tight on it and the new ground cable and thread it back in.
The bolt has a lock washer. They make me nervous when it comes to damaged threads as they put stress on the bolt.

Should I can the idea of putting the ground wire back on this bolt?

Put it someplace else and just put the lock tight on the bolt and no lock washer?

Or should I put some oil on it and thread it back in with the lock washer and no ground wire..

This is partially screwed back it.
Well I put a post into the Beta Engine blog to get some more ideas.
82353.activeboard.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment