Mast work - Part 1

 Now that the mast is on the hard we need to get to work on it.


Rigworks took off the spreaders.








The first order of business was to strip the masthead while "time is money" and any help we can give. Well..saves us cash.


Ray from Rigworks writing down what needs to be done.
I have the EchMax radar reflector.




 Rigworks had been doing some preliminary work on the mast on Thursday when we pulled it.




We came to relize the radar mount that we purchased from Rileys did not fit the radr antena!


 That meant the radar mount need to go to the weld shop for alterations. There was no time to send it back up to L.A. to Rileys. Ray from Rigworks tried to call Rileys but there was no answewr.
 Off to the weld shop it went. Ray choose Thomas Marine as they could do it now.

THOMAS MARINE, INC.
2835 Cañon Street
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 224-5220


The mast head consists of many pins and each pin has two cotter pins holding it into the mast head.
 One on each side. This worked to our advantage as some of the cotter pins did not want to budge so we simple took the other out.


These two pins are for the back stay and topping lift, out they came.

Ray at Rigworks gave us a new tricolor Aqua Signal tri color lens for this light.
We are also picking up two LED bulbs to replace the old incandescent ones.


Old anchor light that does not work.
We removed the old anchor light wire and placed a line with a washer on it to keep it from going down the mast. Just in case we ever want to use it again. We will replace the lens and 3M UV 4000 the hole up and the lens and cover on so it does not leak. This will also free up a breaker on the nav panel.


 
The old VHF antenna is getting a new wire and will be removed. At a later time Debbie and I will replace it with a digital one.


This tired spreader and motoring light will be replaced.
The spreader light is not working because the bulb is burnt out. The motoring light would need a new lens.



The aluminum ladder


Debbie and I had to make some trips up and down this aluminum ladder. The ladder sits on a floating dock. The dock moves around. The ladder is bolted to it. The ladder is held onto the cement travel lift pier top with a piece of pipe. The ladder moves back and forth on the pipe. The ladder does not move side to side so that is good.



So when climbing up the latter which is straight up and down it is moving up and down and rocking back and forth in the pipe. A little hard navigate this latter.  Once up top there are no hand rails or railings so you are standing on a cement pier about the width of a finger pier at the marina only high up with a boat to land on or rocks etc.  
Then you walk this pier for about 30’ to the yard dodging the travel lift. I think I am more used to these kinds of things than Debbie. The first trip up was the hardest as the tide was low. Later it got a bit easier as the tide was coming in. Then again we were getting tired so maybe it was a wash. 


Main halyard on sheeve.


Jib halyard metal sheave to left with plastic sheave to right.
There is nothing on the plastic sheave, just used as a spacer.




Metal jib sheave out and the plastic one coming out.


Now on the main halyard side removing pin.


Damn cotter pins :)


Out comes last plastic sheave.


Space left inside mast head.


Plastic main halyard sheave still in mast head.

Still removing cotter pins :)


Fishing out sheaves, I gouged one up with the screw driver. 


There are two extra sheaves that are not used. 


There they are, one metal and three plastic sheaves with the spacer that goes in between. .


The empty mast head







Removing the old wind indicator


Wonder why it did not work :) The wire coupling.

Removed the tri color Aqua Signal light.
It is the plug in type that needs no tools to service. This shows the plug.


Old anchor and VHF antenna.


Now we are removing the old anchor light.

Old wiring on mast head.



This hole had nothing in it to prevent water from entering the mast.


Old and new lens that Ray gave us.
 The old lens is quite fogged up, especially  the anchor lens.


New lens attached to the plug in part.




No comments:

Post a Comment