Downsizing - moving - something had to go wrong? - 2011

May 2011 - At Marina Cortez Harbor Island, San Diego, CA
Here you can see the pipe end where the fitting came off.

The looping hose (see through) is for the foot pump that we have yet to hook up. It just got installed after a rebuild and the new floor.
While at our storage unite I decide not to bring the big box of plumbing supplies with me as it is heavy and hard to store. I went through it and of course did not get all that we needed for the repair.

(Because our bilge pump was not working (later explained) if the water tanks were near full we would have had a flooded engine room and possibly water over the new deck!)

 So after going to Marine Exchange and picking up a valve and some more incidentals for the water line repair I went to the boat. 
 I took a quick look at how the repair was going to happen and decide that there were at least one fitting we needed that I did not get to install the valve. So forget the valve for now. In fact there may be a better location for it than under the sing where it can get banged around.
   Now on with the repair. The fix was simple and this time I added a few wire ties to stabilize the water lines. 
 There tends to be a lot of “stuff” getting piled under sinks so this was a good idea I think.
Wiping up the engine etc you can see the yellow rag.
Looks better. Still needs a good cleaning and some touch up paint
  Now the bilge needed cleaning and the whole engine room needs to be cleaned. Not sure if Owen covered the engine after the first sanding as we removed the plastic because we thought he was done. It looks messy with saw dust and other debris. I wiped a lot with a damp rag and vacuumed with the wet\dry vac.
I could not get all the water out of the bilge. I blamed it on the Beta 38 hp engine being in the way. There was a spot with the old Perkins 4-108 engine where I could get the vac down lower in the engine room so the vac would pick up the water. Now that spot is gone. Debbie proved me wrong later. 


Here is a vent hose installed by the PO going to the bilge pump through hull.
If this makes any sense to you,  looking down behind the salon back there is the bilge through hull with valve and two hoses, one a vent, one to the bilge pump.
Had to pull it all out to air out the area.
 So now it is time to clean up the salon are under in the two storage  are where the hose from the bilge pump through hull spewed water all around, not a lot of water but enough to make things wet. Pulled everything out and put a fan in there, should have used the electric heater but did not think of it. 

 While at our storage unite I decide not to bring the big box of plumbing supplies with me as it is heavy and hard to store. I went through it and of course did not get all that we needed for the repair.
So after going to Marine Exchange and picking up a valve and some more incidentals for the water line repair I went to the boat. I took a quick look at how the repair was going to happen and decide that there were at least one fitting we needed that I did not get to install the valve. So forget the valve for now. In fact there may be a better location for it than under the sing where it can get banged around.
 So on with the repair. The fix was simple and this time I added a few wire ties to stabilize the water lines. There tends to be a lot of “stuff” getting piled under sinks so this was a good idea I think.
 Now the bilge needed cleaning and the whole engine room needs to be cleaned. Not sure if Owen cover the engine after the first sanding as we removed the plastic because we thought he was done. It looks messy with saw dust and other debris. I wiped a lot with a damp rag and vacuumed with the wet\dry vac.
 So now it is time to clean up the salon are under in the two storage  are where the hose from the bilge pump through hull spewed water all around, not a lot of water but enough to make things wet. Pulled everything out and put a fan in there, should have used the electric heater but did not think of it.

Ok everything is cleaned up and dry and ready to go. Well except we now need water in the tanks. So I hooked up the water hose and began filling the tanks.

 So after a while I am looking at the sight gauges and see they are about ¾ full. So I go out to turn off the hose, thinking no hurry as they could fill a bit more. I was screwing around in the dock bock that we hijacked next to Hinze,s boat when Hinze I started to talk about Kayak’s.

 The doc box we asked to use because there are a few empty slips and the dock boxes are empty. The marina office (Carol) said temporality we could use one.

 So any way we then got together with the next two boats by Hinze's and they had inflatable Kayak’s and we all started talking them up. We are ready to by a inflatable Kayak and it is a double. The conversation was about the pros and cons of the double versus the two singles approach.

 After a while I see Debbie coming down the dock and Hinze and I had just ended our conversation. I walked up to Debbie to great her and as we were approaching our boat I realized I never turned off the water! Dam!

So we turned off the water and climbed on board to find the water was up over the bilge alarm but still 
under the engine in the bilge! Got real lucky! The sight tubes have vents at the top so they can let the air out for the little float to rise. That way you get a reading as the tanks fill.

Debbie usually does this and I was not paying attention. The tanks overflowed into the bilge through the sight tubes. After we fill the tanks we close the vents so no water comes out.

 The bilge pump would easily keep up with the water from the tanks but it is broken or the float is broken.
 So Debbie gets out the wet\dry vac and starts the whole process all over again. The water is all over the bilge. She vacs it out and we rag it up and then she mops out the deep bilge. Debbie seems to be able to vac out all the water. I need to find her secret. Any way while doing the vac job she test the flapper to the bilge pump and finds it works that I had it turned off at the nav station! I had turned off the bilge pump. Go figure. Now I had done this once before. Turned off the bilge pump and we had no operating bilge pump. We have not finished rebuilding the original and have not yet bought the other two. So I did not bother saying anything about this on the blog as I figured it was just an over sight and it is a bit embarrassing. Not so this has almost cost us our new engine\trany or at least a bunch of work on draining and re-oiling both of these. If I had l left the boat for work say we could have lost the boat or at least had water way over the floor boards.

 Scary thought. We need to get a backup system in place and I will tape that switch to the on position to prevent my stupidness. Also Debbie can go back to putting water in the boat, she can train me on her method. She uses a timer and does not get side tracked like me 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment