Kato Marine Island Davits on Craig's List! Purchased! - 2011

2011 - Marina Cortez San Diego, CA   
 The Kato Marine Island Davits seem to be in fine shape. They are a bit dirty and a little rusty in spots but should clean up fine.
Well I was just whining a short time ago that I never get anything cheap from like Crag’s in San Diego or the swap meet that we truly need. We look all the time but it just is never there, damn it!


 Yesterday I just got off the phone with Kato Marine after ordering brand new dingy davits and all the fixings when I spotted them. You know how you get the buyers remorse or the idea its not the right thing to do even after swirling this thing around in my brain for months. Well after the purchase I Googled the Kato Inland Davits again and bingo there they were on Craig’s list for $500.00!. They went up on Friday or Saturday and it was Monday and they were still for sale! The man (David) was leaving in the afternoon and was taking the davits with him to sell up north. So I left work a little early and beat it down to Pier 32 Marina and took a long look. They will work and so we got them for $460.00 or $450.00 but I did not have change so I just gave him $460.00. Anyway I still need to get a lot of the fixings for them (block and tackle and stabilizer bar etc) but this really saves us a chunk of you know what).

We have no idea what year they were made or how old they are. They do have a sticker on them that says “Product of Kato Marine”.
I measured 38”” from the base of the ball to the top of the davits. Not an exact measurement at all. They may have been cut before but there is room to cut them again for our Islander Freeport. The seller David said they came from a Valiant 40’.
Today I can do some better measuring.
Also we will check out the ball area for cracks. It might be a good idea to just buy new ball/sockets.
The Kato Marine Island Davits are just the lifting arms and the brackets to hold them to the stern rail. There is a cross piece, the stainless steel SS100 fixed stabilizer but it is way too short for us. This will go up for sale along with the brackets to hold it on.
We bought the from:
Dave Benjamin
Owner - Island Planet Sails
dave@islandplanetsails.com


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your blog. I always try to keep up on latest innovations. If you are interested, I'd recommend checking this website for latest products: http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/davit-2464.html

    ReplyDelete