Windows -first one installed

 The new window looks soooo nice! We did not realize we were losing all the color! They also make the boat look much bigger. Both of these were a surprise. The tint is also very nice. No squinting and everything looks nice looking out. The old windows put a gray color in everything. When you look at the sky for instance you cannot tell if it is a sunny or partly cloudy day.  The new window you see the deep blue sky and a few white clouds, plain as we say day!

 First off Debbie prepped the are real good with brown paper and a plastic tarp.




 Removing the old window was labor-intensive and cleaning it up was the same. There was lots of black silicone all around it and on the inside too. Of course like the hatches and port holes it is clean, clean and clean. Also most important is not to rip the headliner.




On a side not we discovered the curtin rod holders are real brass not pot metal so they will clean up nice.








Some of the corner radius were cut a little big but the windows did not leak and they do not seem to be a problem. Not like some pictures of some Freeports we have seen.

 
Clean

And clean

Clean


More cleaning




Our boat is a 1978 and has always been a SoCal boat. Two of the reasons we bought it.
 There for there was no rot around the windows as we get little rain. Also the windows did not leak. Alomost did not leak. The center window on each side had a small drip on a windy rain storm, few here. We are hoping the other window frames are in as good a shape. Being the original windows did not leak and the there is no rot we chose to get the same window size, not over-sized.



Debbie wire brushed the old screws and cleaned them with acetone but the heads were not in that great of shape. The next day we went to the fastener store (San Diego Fasteners) and got 230 new  screws. We also picked up 100 for fasting in wire ties and other wire holders.





Cleaning the new frame


 Putting in the new windows was not bad. Ran a big bead of silicone around the window frame, after cleaning, and laid it up into the opening. The put a couple of screws into the top and started pulling the frame together. Then crrise crossed with the screws. 







I put the first few screws in then Debbie did the rest.




Debbie used the handy dandy electric screw driver to get the screws in. I then finessed the torque.






No comments:

Post a Comment