Replacing stern step cables? - 2011

 
We would like to replace them but neither one of us can reach the nut inside the lazarette that is on the other side of the screw. We have gotten a wrench on it, but they are on for good.
December 2011 - Currently at Marina Cortez Harbor IslandSan Diego, CA

 We would need to cut the crew off and knock out the stud then put a new screw in and nut. There is the problem How to put a nut on the screw? Possibly tapping the nut to a wrench. That seems very risky as it may not work.

This is going to require further thought.
 In this pic you can see the nut way up there in the lazarette to the top left. The other two on the right are for holding the helm seat.

 Here is one suggestion:
"Several years ago, I replaced the cables. As I recalled, I placed an ice chest next to the lazarette - to lay on, leaned in backwards and up to the nut. Not fun, and totally Awkard, it was the only way to get my arm up in the coaming, but I was able to replace them!"

Another:
"Replaced my cables last fall. I cut the head off the screw and drove thru into the laz. I taped an extension onto a box end wrench and also taped the nut and washer together on the box end. Used a cordless driver/drill (with a willing helper) to slowly turn the screw while holding the wrench/nut combo in place. I used a mirror to visualize the port side and was able to contort in the starboard laz. Once started on the thread the tape will tear or pull away. Hope this helps."

No comments:

Post a Comment