Polishing the hull with Big White polish 1 of 4 - 2015

Beginning of October 2015 - At private slip in Nuevo Vallarta in Banderas Bay, Mexico
 A couple of years ago I tried to polish the hull. I got about 3 feet from the stern and about two feet down. I quickly ran out of time. Now I have some time and am making another attempt.
 I started at the stern edge of the starboard side. I washed a section up to the yellow power chord. 
I used bleach and Simple Green. I then bought some touch-up-paint from AutoZone and touched up some gelcoat dings. Not perfect but better than a black chip showing through a white gel coat. Could\should use gelcoat but hey, want to get done before we set sail south. I used a straight edge blade to remove some things and #400 wet sandpaper sparingly to remove others.Probably switch sandpaper to a softer # like a #1500.
 Next I applied some Big White Sealant wax. Then waited for it to dry and buffed it out with a (borrowed) power buffer. It came out lousy. 



 Then I tried putting on the wax in a small area and immediately wiping it off. This works a lot better. It is way hot and humid so that may be a factor. Anyway, I did that over the the messed up area and it helped and did that over a new area and it worked nicely. Figure our boat is 35 years old and does not get a lot of waxing so it is going to look that way. It does look a lot nicer.
 The buffer I did not like using and prefer to do this by hand. 
 Next I did the same method with the Big White Hi-Temp Past Wax




I am pretty confident I will get the whole hull done before sailing south :)?
We like these trade mark engravings in the hull 
as they add some pizazz to a plain white hull other than a boot stripe etc.
Of course, raising our water line helps because we have 
less gelcoat to polish and it is easier to reach!


No comments:

Post a Comment