Varnished shower grate - 2010

October 2010 - At Marina Cortez Harbor Island, San Diego, CA

 I had to spend some time washing the shower grate with TSP and liquid Ajax. Then I sanded it to remove a lot of the marks, dings and spots that have accumulated over the thirty years. This took a couple few hours at least.
The PO had also added some weather stripping to the edges so it would not rock I guess. We had to remove it and all the glue that held it in place.
 You can see the shower grate done here.
I could not find any good pictures of the shower grate, before pictures. I took some of it all sanded and ready for varnish but deleted them by accident. I was working right off the camera chip. Will not do that again and I know better.
We made up a piece of marine plywood ½ I think it was, to replace the grate while we varnish it.
  We put the plywood in place and brought the grate home. We have the first coat of satin varnish on the shower grate on both sides. When completed this shower grate will have a satin finish.
It took a while to decide what to use if anything on the grate. I did not spend a lot of time on all the 1” square holes. I just do not have the time to be anal on this as I am on most things.

No comments:

Post a Comment