Cleaning varnish off hinges on head door - 2010

June 2010 - At Marina Cortez Harbor Island, San Diego, CA
 So cleaning up the hinges on the head door is easier than I thought it was going to be. They have some varnish on them and they were very dark. I was thinking it would take even some sanding but did not want to scratch them up. We have tried some polish but it makes a mess and does nothing to remove the varnish that I slopped on them.


I used the red scratch pad that I use for scuffing up the varnish surface before each coat. Tips I got from David at Downwind Marine.

Note:
 The scratch pad does really nothing to smothe out the high spots in the varnish. I learned later thant getting the varnish to look like glass was the real goal. Then the job looks really good.

The scratch pad works great. It sheds a bit but some of the dust was all the crap on the hinge. I get it a little better I will put some polyurethane on it to keep it nice. So far that has worked on the other ones. I also just did the one on the laundry hamper. No varnish on it so it only took a few minuets. Blue tape and rub it to a shine! The polyurethane coating is still a test but has not failed to keep them nice so far, about six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment