Beta engine motor mount rust - OSPHO and paint

Middle of November 2014 - Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico

 We have found and are working on our motor mount rust.

This one is by our zinc and at first I was not that careful when removing the zinc for a quick check on the condition. The salt water would splash out. Now I am real careful not to spill any salt water :)

We were directed to use OSPHO by Stanley on the Beta Marine Forum then paint.

"RUSTED METALS - OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating - NOT A PAINT You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush - apply a coat of OSPHO as it comes in the container - let dry overnight, then apply whatever paint system you desire. When applied to rusted surfaces, OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted. A dry, powdery, grayish-white surface usually develops; this is normal - brush off any loose powder before paint application."

The rest of the instructions can be found on the OSPHO web site.

 So we have done the wire brushing and some sanding and applied the OSPHO .

After 24 hours we will paint!

We purchased a pint of gray rust preventive paint from a local paint store here in Puerto Vallarta.

24 hours after applying OSPHO to the motor mount.

We wire brushed it and then painted it.

We did all four MM.

Just painting away!

Tried not to get too much paint on the rubber inside the motor mount.

I thought we should try some of this paint on the old bronze plumbing as it looked so good.

The coupling was getting rusty and so were the bolts on the tranny side so we earlier had touched up the red (but had no OSPHO ) and now used the OSPHO  and then painted the coupling.

Looks good so far!

No more rust on coupling or bolts!

From this..

To this : )  The edges are rubber as there is a rubber pad the MM is sitting on. Also there is a big rubber dampener inside the motor mount I tried to stay clear of with OSPHO, paint etc.

All four MM done and no rust!

From this...

To this...Next it will be painting the other dorad hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment