Finished varnishing the settee front - 2013

Beginning of September 2013 - s\v Elegant'sea is currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico (by Puerto Vallarta)
Finished the settee and it looks nice, not my best work but it not something that is at eye level or that you can see close up unless you bend down and cop a peek.
 It is not up to s\v Elegant'sea par but it is still mighty fine. Now in the head you may be sitting on the can and you look around bored at the varnish, now it looks good. Same for the doors as they are in your face and at eye level. Even inside the head cabinets we did a nice job. I think it was a combination of things.
 One, the lighting was not real good. I had the boat closed up with the AC on.
 The sponged brushes I bummed came from HD and were not up for this job. Could be they are alright for a flat surface with no detail but not this surface.
 I did get some good sponge brushes for the last coat at the chandlery here at Paradise Village Marina but is was for the last coat.
 I tried wet\dry sand paper wet and it did not work for me. nothing shows up while sanding, like runs and such, or at least they are hard to see. With #20 the show right up and can be dealt with. Could be I need more experience with the wet\dry stuff.
 I did not find our varnishing stuff till the last coat. The filters and plastic cups etc.
Guess I am just out of tune as it has been quite a while since we varnished.

 There is a lot of detail in the wood on the Islander Freeport 36. I was looking at a newer boat that is also a Robert Perry design. It has a teak settee front and it is just one plain board of veneered or maybe teak but no detail. That goes throughout the whole boat. Our old Freeport's are nicely detailed and look like a custom built boat with good journey, at least on our 1978 Islander Freeport 😊. The other boats are fine boats, I am just saying, course it is harder to varnish our boat.
 
We do the whole thing in gloss as I was told it has more UV protection than satin. Besides it just seems easier. Five coats here.  
One coat of satin on I think.
Taping this off for the satin was a pain but I did a surprisingly good job! 
Remember the TV swivels back behind the back cushion and out of sight but I did not feel like doing that for this photo opp.
While Debbie is out of town I have been watching Archer. She does not care for it. I downloaded the seasons and am on season two. We have cable hooked u and it is included in the slip rent but we do not watch it. Maybe.. this Thursday night season start up of NFL if it is on one of the 8 or so English channels we get. Could watch it in Spanish as we usually mute the adds and when the announces get stupid like a lot. So no sound would work fine, maybe with English subtitles? 

2 comments:

  1. The varnish job looks good to me!

    I'm waiting until the weather cools down before I redo the cap rail. My new project is replacing the battery charger/inverter combo, to a new charger and stand alone inverter. For some weird reason the charger stopped working while I was away from the boat, and the refrigerator drained the house and starter battery. Fortunately the batteries are OK.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks GREAT dad!! :) looks like you're putting your time without mom to good use ;) miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete