Achilles dinghy upgrades getting done now - adding scupper

Beginning of November 2015 - At private slip in Nuevo Vallarta in Banderas Bay, Mexico


 In earlier post we explained why - a quick re-hash...

 When we have the Honda 9.9 outboard motor mounted on s\v Elegant'sea we need to turn the Achilles LSI-310E 10.2 dinghy around so the bow can clear the Honda 9.9 outboard. If the Honda 9.9 outboard is on the dinghy then we hoist the dinghy with the stern on that side (starboard). This is the side with the winch on the davits (starboard). So with the bow on the starboard side then the dinghy scupper is way out on the stern of the dinghy and the dinghy's up on that side. The scupper is not reachable in case we forget to pull the plug before raising and the water (rain) will not drain out because the dinghy is high on that side. We do this on overnight passages. Nothing in the dinghy and raise it high. So another scupper would (and now) will make our life easier (not having to drop the dinghy, climb in and pull the plug) and if it rains on passage no big deal as the water will just drain out the new scupper which is on the down side of the dinghy stern and easy to reach also. Confused? We will post some pictures when it is raised this coming week and that will clear it up. A "safety" and "make life easier" project. 

Achilles scupper.

Deciding how to get it in without messing anything up :)

Debbie and I talked this through quite a bit. We did not want to drill through the dinghy floor or the side tubes are etc. We tried to copy the factory installed scupper and did a good job.

Marking the spot.

Marking the spot?

Thinking about it.

More marking the spot.

Measure three times to cut once!

Test marking without the drill bit in the hole saw.

Where it will come out.

Ready to drill.

Going for it.

Too late now. The stern is, I think particleboard, with rubber sandwiched in-between. 

I think the rubber connects to the stern tubes but I have no way to be sure. It was tough to drill through the rubber. I believe water helps drilling rubber but oh well. Anyway the hole (1 1\2") came out good.

The hole - ok, looks good.

OK the scupper is too long.

Cutting off the scupper.

De-burring the plastic, also used some #120 sand paper.

Drilling screw holes.

Testing screw.

Dry test fit. The scupper fits good. 

We tried to put the rubber gasket on with the scupper but with no holes in it for the screws it just wanted to twist up.

So we made holes for the screws. We will seal it all up with 3M UV4000.
Handy to have this tool, which we usually use when doing canvas work - 
it punches holes for snaps and such!

OK it now fits with the gasket on.

Then we removed the scupper and applied 3M UV4000
 to the hole and some on the scupper.

Yes I cut the scupper too short!! It will still work fine however some of the transom wood is exposed. We made sure we had UV4000 sealing it up nicely. You will not see this when the blow up floor is put into the dinghy.

Clyde slept through it all.







No comments:

Post a Comment