Caulking is done on the caprail - looks good and stopped leaks - 2019

We just got through caulking the whole cap rail along with varnishing it. There still needs to be a few more coats of varnish but that will wait till the fall. 
August 2019 -We are currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico (by Puerto Vallarta)
Before varnishing, I had removed most of the caulking. We wanted to varnish first with a few coats so it would seal up the wood nice before caulking
After varnishing we found that there was still a lot I wanted to remove so I did. 
Then I sanded the area with #80 grit and cleaned it with 1" paint brush and 
 Acetone.
All taped and ready to go. 
I later added wider tape to the bottom as the caulking tends to drip a bit when removing etc.
I taped by the crown of the gelcoat and the crown of the teak. 
I pulled the boat in close so I could get to the bow.
We purchased some of this pens sellador "Marino" at Zaragoza Marine Store and some at SYS Chandlery here at Paradise Village Marina. In the US "Pens Marine Sealant".
Tools of torture for the caulking removal. The scissors is for cutting the tape when removing it after the calking. The blue handle hook type tool is actually for cutting plexiglass but came in handy. The other is a tool we purchased from Home Depot. Have fun😊
Applying and it is nice to work with.
Pushing into the area with my finger.
After a pressure finger application I would go back over to smooth it out and fill in the area.

Then we remove the tape. We did about 4-6 feet at a time. 
A pair of scissors helps to cut the tape.
Debbie would hold out a couple paper towels
 for me to drop the tape into. It can get messy.😜

No comments:

Post a Comment