Varnishing the settee area, a big job but I am up for it!

This is the settee area before I started.

April 2018 - Currently in Marina Vallarta, Banderas Bay Mexico (Puerto Vallarta Jalisco)
Currently house sitting in BuceriasPuerto Vallarta, Mexico 
During this project I started house sitting in Bucerias. Debbie is in the US for 7 days.
This is the settee area before I started. 
 Another view of settee area before I started.
 And yet another view of the settee area before I started.
 Still another view of the settee area before I started. 
First, I removed the two cane doors and the light switch cover 
with the 110 volt plaque over it.
 Here's one of the 110 volt plugs that I took the cover off.
 After washing with TSP
 Image result for TSP cleaning powder
 This is one of the side "walls" of the settee.  
Here, I washed the teak with TSP mixed 50\50.
This is the other "wall" in the settee.I still have not washed it with TSP . When I wash it I use  TSP with #220 wet sand paper and then wipe it off with a wet paper towel.
This is actually the bulkhead to the stateroom but we decided to include it. It is a project by itself and we have wanted to do the varnishing of this area (satin) for quite a while.
Then after washing with TSP,  which is sold at Home Depot, it's ready for varnishing.

Sanding the first coat of satin. I used #220 wet\dry sandpaper, using it wet to go over the first coat of satin varnish. Then I wiped it down with a damp paper towel and then a Costco yellow rag to pick up any dust.
The first coat was 80 or 90% varnish and the rest thinner so it will soak into the grain of the wood and bring out what grain of wood it can.
The varnish is sold here at Zaragoza Chandlery and 
at the SYS chandlery in Paradise Village Marina.
Here is the first (or second) coat of satin varnish - I lose track! I did a light wet sanding again using #220 and then wiped with Costco rag. We used Home Depot throw away brushes and they were quite good. Hardly lost a bristle.
 There were only a few places the previous owner had cut up the boat. He was the original owner before we bought it. He owned this Islander Freeport 1978 for over 30 years. Anyway the hole in the bulk head where we have a piece of foam was a depth sounder. Looks like a radio slot. We had a piece of stained glass made to cover it.
 The area left of the door was actually gloss. between the trim by the head liner and the trim over the door. It is a small area and I was a bit sloppy. I sanded the gloss shine off and applied the satin. No problem covering the gloss. I have read that a good way to do satin is to use gloss first because it is harder and dries faster. Then do the satin. Satin will cloud up a bit with a lot of coats, I believe.
 All satin varnish now. This oak top I will do as a separate project.  
The satin has been applied to the bulkheads.
 Part of the area that was gloss. Also to the left you can see how shiny the piece of teak that covers the mast is. That was supposed to be satin and I will fix it now, after I put satin on the other area so I can change the blue tape around.  In this area by the stateroom door I did something wrong originally, possibly not stirring the varnish enough. It came out semi-gloss and not looking that great. It was a good time for a re-do. Behind this teak is the keel stepped mast.
 First I had to remove the HVAC duct grill. The salon area is on top of the 12000 Mermaid HVAC.
Then it was sanding time. I used #220 dry and it made a mess.
 
At the time I was sanding I looked up at a ray of sunlight coming in the companionway and saw lots of paint dust in the air...oops get the mask out!😯

 
 OK all sanded and taped and ready to go. This took just one coat as it had a couple coats on it already. So now it looks good. Still working on the teak HVAC grill and the cane doors.
This area is now all done in satin varnish.
The area to get coats of gloss needed to be sanded with the usual method and then all taped. Some tape I left on from the satin.  First gloss coat.
 Now I applied the gloss varnish to the areas after sanding and taping.
 I was able to get 5 coats total on the gloss areas. There were two coats of stain on the areas from that varnishing. It made it easier to do it all in satin as I did less taping. Then I added three coats to the gloss areas, wet sanding with #220 in between coats.
 All done now, except for the light switch cover, 
the two cane doors and the HVAC grill teak frame.
 Now it all looks right!
 Nice!

All done and looking nice! 
I mixed up some TSP. For our 32 oz spray bottle it 
was 1\4 cup of TSP and 32 oz of warm water.
Then it was scrub -a-dub-dub. No scrubbing really just wet the cane door and then sprayed with TSP and sanded it with #220 wet sand paper. Kept hosing off and doing it again till it was nice and spanking clean! Now to tape😫, not may favorite thing but my partner is away in the US. 

OK I had to quit till tomorrow, yay! Need more light and the house lights are a challenge. I forgot to bring my headlamp, it would be great for this.
 The first coat of thinned down gloss has just been applied.
Beautiful, if I must say so myself!

 These five 110 socket covers have been cleaned and sanded, ready for the first coat.
 The second settee cane door has been washed with TSP and sanded. Ready for taping. Maybe if I stall Debbie will do the taping, I am picking her up at the PV airport tonight😘
The switches have their first coat of diluted varnish, with thinner coat.
  At this time we are house sitting in Bucerias. We just started this house sit and are using the time to get our salon cushions completely re-done. We will also do some major varnishing in the salon area while we are off the boat. I am currently working on the cane doors for the settee in-between writing this post at the house sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment