Adding coats of varnish for glassy look - 2020

Here I am varnishing the eyebrow to look like glass. I went over last years varnishing which was a start over from when we used Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak about seven years ago. The teak was looking bad. So I stripped it and applied Epifanes clear varnish. Now to get that varnish looking really good. It needs a couple new coats anyway.
December 2020 anchored in the Bahia de Navidad Lagoon

Here I am under the shade, varnishing.
Looking good and glassy.

Epifanes clear varnish and supplies.

Varnishing upper eye brow.
Upper eye brow looking like glass.
Upper eyebrow.
Lower deck hand rail. It is in tough shape and is the old Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak.
Soon I will start stripping these. 

Started sanding the port caprail. The current Epifanes clear varnish is still looking good but it needs a couple new coats. So I am sanding it (the varnish) really smooth so the next two coats will come out like glass. Takes a bit of sanding so I am doing a section at a time.

Sanded section.
You can see the mark I drew for the joint. I will try varnishing from joint to joint. I know it is a pun but take it how you will.
You can see the difference between the companion way door and the eyebrow. They are really the same color - it is the shadows that make them appear a bit different. The door has 5 coats of varnish on it but is not smooth. The eyebrow is smooth and has more than five coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment