Galley AC vent - and area by it - got varnished - 2018

This AC duct for our Mermaid Marine Air 12000 btu HVAC unit was supposed to be teak. It just does not look like teak. So before varnishing the area I am applying some Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak to it to see if this will make it more teak-like in color. 


May 2018- Currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico

 
And yes, it does look more teak-like. The Mermaid Marine Air AC vent 
is a bit darker and looks closer to the surrounding teak. 
 So that meant I needed to finish off the vent. I also tested to see if a second coat Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak would make it darker and would that look better. I tried a spot but it did not make any difference.
 I used the little brush to get inside the AC vent area.
Then life goes on...back to living on the boat and I will start the surrounding teak soon. Also the vent will need a light sanding to get the gloss off as it will be varnished satin.
 
 
 
 
 All done and looking good.
So it looks good but I think it could look better. 
I possibly "thinned" the satin varnish out too much. The teak looks a little "raw" still. At a later time I will add another coat and I think it will look even better. That black spot I could not get out and we will live with it. A 40 year old boat it is and I need to keep reminding myself of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment