Anchored in Chamela , Our first Kayak/Dinghy landing - 2013

Late December - 2013 in Bahia Chamela (Perula Bay)
We finally inflated our two person Solstice Trekker Duo kayak for the first time. We launched it and climbed down the stern steps and got in without a hitch! We took off paddling and went every which way. We need to figure out how to paddle together. W made it to the beach for a beach landing, it went badly. We got close and then should have gotten out at knee\waist deep, not so and a wave caught us and turned the kayak broadside and dumped us. I did a face plant in the shallow water but Debbie got away without getting her hair wet. The beach was crowded so this was an embarrassment to me.
Note:
  The Solstice Trekker Duo kayak is lunk and we recommend not buying it.
  We do recommend the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two.



We walked around then had lunch on the beach with two other cruising couples we met on the Baja Ha Ha of 2012.
When leaving the beach we were able to get into the kayak no problem and get through the surf, then paddled on out to the boat. We then climbed up the stern steps for a record of 50 percent.
The next day we wanted to go to the market and check out the hotel that caters to cruisers. Figuring the dingy more stable and dry we would take it. We rowed the dinghy in.

 We landed fine and I jumped out. A wave came and surfed the dinghy with Debbie in it right up to the beach, I was running alongside but not keeping up. With the dingy wheels down the dingy did not broach and all was fine.
After checking out the hotel, getting some food in town and going to the market and exploring the fish market etc we went back to the dinghy.

 We loaded the dinghy up and then pushed it into the water until the wheels were clear of the bottom.
 After waiting for the sets to go by we pushed out the dinghy until it was almost too deep for Debbie to get in but we thought past the surf line. Debbie climbed in and then I pushed some more. It was getting too deep for me to get in but I flung myself up on the pontoon and part way into the boat. At this point my board shorts came off and down to my knees - my white butt pointing to the sky on the top of the pontoon! Again the beach is crowded and of course you know the boats at anchor are watching or so I think. Debbie starts rowing right off but wave comes and hits us, turning us over with dingy flipping on top of us. I get up with a struggle and my board shorts still part way down and freeing myself from the heavy dingy. I see Debbie standing there in what looks like shock. Dripping wet. We did not see that wave coming. We gather the gear and put it up on the beach. I lose my cool blue sun glasses. Find my hat and drag the dingy back to the beach. We then with a lot of difficulty flip the dingy onto its side to dump out what seems like hundreds of gallons of sea water, even some sand came out but most stayed.

We are now thinking about dragging the dingy down the beach to a spot where the waves are smaller??

 Nancy from s\v Gitane came by to offer some moral support, and then a man came by and told us how to proceed. He was taking pity on us. He said he did this many times before and to:
Put up the dinghy wheels.
Each take a side of the dinghy.
When the surf sets are low grab the dinghy and run like hell.
Jump in and row like hell.

 OK we tried it, we grabbed the dinghy and ran like hell when the sets died. Debbie flung herself into the dinghy at the bow. I do the same into the stern, immediately grab the oars and start rowing like mad! We did it!
Maybe a bruise or two and many to my dinghy ego but we were free of the surf.

 We got back to the boat and as usual are successful in getting up the stern steps into the boat and retrieve all our wet gear, food etc. The dry bag is ripped but all is OK.

 As we were rowing out some of the folks in the water were looking at us and a local woman had a big smile on her face, I am thinking it was from the white butt, or maybe just the whole scene.

Hmmm looks like it will be a while before we try it with the motor on the dinghy.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment