Sailing south - Winter of 2015

End of December 2015 - Anchored in Barra-Bahia de Navidad lagoon, Mexico

 We left La Cruz anchorage about 2 pm and sailed the afternoon thermal one tack for over three hours before the wind died. Then we motor sailed. The seas were a bit lumpy until we got to the light house about 3-5 km out. The seas picked up and were a bit gnarly at about 8-9 pm. We motor sailed with the main reefed and were surfing the waves at about 7 knots and the Garmin GHC 10 class A under deck autopilot was working hard. This was our first test of the Garmin autopilot repair we did this last summer. The Garmin GHC 10 class A under deck autopilot worked great! The wind picked up to over 20 knots and stayed that way past midnight. We were tired so we left the head sail furled and surfed the waves motor sailing. In the am then after we passed Ipala the waves laid down a bit and the wind died. The wind never picked up again all day for any sailing.

I think we will go back to doing the 2am rounding of CaboCorrientes as it is nicer sea state-wise. We had tried to leave when there were 20 knot winds predicted so we could get a good sail but we had technical difficulties with our Garmin GPSMAP 740 chart plotter. The chart plotter quit as we were leaving the La Cruz anchorage to sail south. So it took a couple days to get it sorted out after we returned and re anchored at La Cruz.. 

We bought charts for the “Transas iSailor” app for our android Samsung tablet. We had limited Wifi and the maps seemed the least expensive. That gave us the ability to make a route to Tenacatita. We also have an old Garmin hand-held gps which we can make routes on. Debbie also did that. We also practiced our plotting on our paper charts and were pleased with that. Still the Garmin autopilot could not follow a route predefined on the chart plotter because the chart plotter was not working. It was an intermediate problem. It would turn on then go off or not turn on just display GARMIN. We eventually think we found the problem being a breaker switch. We installed our electronics and wired them to a Blue Seas fuse block. The fuse block has it’s own fuse and then is also wired to a breaker at the nav station. These breakers are old. So Debbie noticed (as we were trouble shooting) that the breaker was a pretty warm. We took it out of the loop and wired the fuse block directly to the bus and so far so good! So far still no radar but we will try plugging that back in soon.

 We sailed direct to Tenacatita this time skipping Chamela (Perula Bay). The wind never picked up again so it was a motor sail.

I had thought of heaving-to and never running the motor (In my mind but never voiced this to Debbie). But why? Tenacatita and the other anchorages we are going to are beautiful places and a lot of fun so why hang out on the Pacific Ocean if there is no wind to sail?  Some places like Cabo Corrientes (Cape Currents) can be a dangerous place to hang out.

 So we arrived in Tenacatita and spent a couple days there before sailing to Barra-Bahia de Navida.  We could see our anchor chain on the bottom in 15-20 ft of water. We jumped right into the 80+ deg water to cool off!

No comments:

Post a Comment