Problems & solutions, need a hip replacement etc

Late November 2013 -  La Cruz anchorage in Banderas Bay Mexico
Well, well, stuff just happens. We left  Paradise Village Marina and went to the Marina Riviera Nayarit atLa Cruz (La Cruz Marina) for a few days. Then we went out to the La Cruz anchorage where we are now. Everything on the boat is working for I think the first time. It is all working at the same time! But…..then there is the people.
I thought my back was bothering me. Oh, it is from all the project work we did all summer, I thought. Hmmm - well some rest at anchorage would help but it still was hurting...then my groin was hurting. Maybe a groin pull. After some time and a lot of limping around (few weeks) it still was not any better. hmm…. maybe a hernia? Ok, we decided that I should go see a doctor before sailing south.

 We went to see an English-speaking orthopedic surgeon and he said my hip is shot or almost shot. A couple of x-rays showed he was right. OK now what. There is no quick getting better. A day later I had a shooting pain down my leg. I was crippled. Could not walk.
The doctor said out of 4  my hip was a 2.5 and the 4 is a hip replacement.
Another cruiser said he knows two people who had their hips replaced an got instant relief and mobility, there is hope.
The doc gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and it helps me sleep. We made a cane from the Shurhold boat hook and it works but hurts my hand. A few days of rest and I can do a little walking. Like a hundred feet at a time.
The doctor visit and x-rays were about $100.00 USD and at a really nice hospital. The doc said he could help my hip with some stem cells and some other mixture and clean out the hip area all arthroscopically. For a mere $4000 – 5000 USD. Probably a good price but we need to research it first.

Our new IMSS Mexican insurance does not cover a hip replacement for two years after you first sign up.
So tomorrow we are going to IMSS to see what can be done and get the hip problem entered into the system.

At this time it seems my sciatic nerve is my biggest problem. I is getting pinched by my hip and cause me to almost collapse.

 My other hip is in good shape so that is good news.
 Then there is Debbie, her baby sister passed away un-expectedly a few days ago. She of course is torn apart and is grieving. That was her baby before she gave birth to her daughter Lindsey. Because of the Thanksgiving holiday in the US the burial will need to be delayed until December 7th or so. That means Debbie is, of course, flying back to the US next week.

My hip is fixable, not Debbie’s sisters death. Time should help heal all this and we will work it out.
  So for going south to places like ManzanilloSantiago ZihuatanejoAcapulco and on down to Hualtulco, well this will yet to be decided. It could be we go only part way or skip Chamela, Tenacatita, Bahia de Navidad etc. Or maybe not. Or we stay in Banderas Bay here and sail the bay, there are lots of cool spots here in the bay to sail and stay at. Bet is we go south but it is all too soon to tell how things will work out or what else will happen.

 So things change and not just for the old, like me.
    s\vEmerald Lady, John and Kelly’s 47' Chewy Lee is getting put up on the hard here in La Cruz. After eight months or more of engine problems with their Perkins 4-107 they are forced to give it up for now. They have family health issues that need to get taken care of and they need to go back to the US. The engine had two re-builds (they threw a rod right after the first re-build) and then they finally got it out to anchor and the engine was leaking oil badly. The pan to block seal is a problem so the motor needs to come out once again! Their trip through the Panama Canal will be postponed for some time to come. They are at least 15 years younger than I am so they got some time yet.

There are more of these tales of woe but this is plenty enough sadness.
  The summer heat has broken and there is a nice breeze at anchor. There are about 15 boats now in the La Cruz anchorage and will be plenty more. Life is still good just a lot different. We are transferring our lifestyle from a marina on to the anchorage and beyond with passages. It is nice and quiet at the anchorage and the Paradise Village Marina is full and noisy. The La Cruz Marina is less than half full but still noisier than the anchorage. The both have their high season rates going now with the La Cruz marina being the more expensive one but I am not going to get into the "this verses that" stuff.

They are personal decisions and we will summer over again at Paradise Village Marina.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving if you're celebrating it.

    Don

    ReplyDelete