Safety

Debbie and I have a “deal” where we wear life vests if we leave San Diego harbor,. We also have jack lines out. I will swap my life vest for a harness if it gets too worm. I know San Diego is not known for it’s weather but it happens.


We went on a race to Mission bay one time and we did not have the “deal” going at that time. The wind and seas kicked up in a matter of minutes about buoy five I think. We were on our Catalina 30 and could not get up on deck to reef the main. The wind was up into the 25 knot range and steep seas 4-6 foot. We furled the jib. Sailed for about 3 hours (bounced around) and made little progress north. Made some headway out to sea. Then the wind slacked off and we deployed the jib. By the time we got to Mission bay we had to motor in for lack of wind.


We decided that we wanted to be in control of our own safety. If I go below I would like to find my wife on board when I come back up on deck. I am also turning 64 and how long can I dog paddle?


My wife and I crewed on a schooner last year, I think it was. We went out the harbor in kinda of race with the replica of the California (another schooner), you know two boats it’s a race. It was quite beautiful. Anyway my wife put on her life vest and there were lot of murmurs seeming how silly it was. She did not want to depend on anyone else for her safety. I concur. By the way I watched the captain\owner get knocked in the head with the boom, ok there were maybe three booms but still. I could see he was irritated by it.


I see many sailors out single handed in the summer sailing (outside the harbor) with nothing but shorts on. Looks appealing. No jack lines no life vest just a good summer sail. Maybe if I was 25 years old or should I say most definitely as I was too cool to be safe. Any way at first I was not that pleased with the “deal” but now in the last few years find it most comforting. If there are a few good sailors on board (Debbie is a good sailor but numbers count) and they are strong and healthy, sober and it is daylight I will probably not wear a life vest.

No comments:

Post a Comment