HVAC flush is getting set up and almost ready - 2019






First off, I want to plug in the bilge pump into the 12 volt outlet. 
Ok wait, I mean after I replace this old rusty one๐Ÿ˜
January 2019 -We are currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico (by Puerto Vallarta)



Here's the replacement - BreaDeep Cigarette Lighter Socket 12V Waterproof Dual Power Plug Outlet with Wire for Car Motorcycle Scooter Boat ATV Rv
Jabsco Rule 25DA Marine Bilge Pump, Non-Automatic, 500 GPH, 12 Volt


Of course I thought this would be an easy job, just and easy. Just take a half hour or so and it would be easy. I told Debbie I would meet her in an hour. What was I thinking!๐Ÿ˜ข
As you can see this is not an area I have varnished yet. 
There are a couple of holes from the previous owner 
that need to be covered and then the area needs to be cleaned 
and varnished. We did do the hard part though, the louvered 
door. This area is by the Nav Station.

So after much work and a lot of cursing by me I finally gave up and went and met Debbie. The area is tight and getting the solderless terminal ends on was not simple. I finally finished, I thought and the fuse holder I used (got lazy and used the original glass fuse and holder that was there) which is not like me...I always put in new gear and mostly oversized. Not this time and I paid the price. I was all done and wire tying up the wires and labeling them when the wire pulled out of the old fuse holder. Damm! I ended up having to pull the whole thing out, 12v plug and wires etc. That 12v itself is hard to screw up there so full of sweat and mad I quit for a while, Just and easy!

Old one - yuck!
     
Later, Debbie helped me and I put in a new blade fuse holder. After we were all done I realized the fuse holder will not work with a 20 amp fuse. The wires are too small. I was thinking 4 amps as that is what the bilge pump uses. However our spot light uses a 20 amp and if we want this 12v plug to work right it needs to be fused higher!

Anyway, it is in place now and will work with the bilge pump 
to get the HVAC in the stateroom flushed out๐Ÿ˜Š
Here is the new bilge pump. I put a hose on the 3\4" hose barb 
and then a 5\8" hose in the 3\4" one and then a 1\2" one in the 5\8" one.
I added several feet of marine wire (I think...we got at a swap meet) 
and then a 12v plug with fuse. So now we are ready to flush out 
the Mermaid 5200 BTU unit in the stateroom...well I thought we were.
I tried to remove the hose clamp from the bottom hose. It is the salt water intake. 
The hose barb was rusted and the head of the screw was missing.
Mermaid 5200 btu HVAC in the aft hanging locker in the stateroom.
Well, eventually with some gentproddinging and praying with a screwdriver, 
I got the screw off without breaking anything but the clamp.
Cleaned up the intake tube and ready (I was thinking) to attach the hose for the acid flush. Not so...the hose is 1\2 inch garden hose and the hose we use for the HVAC to the sea water pump is 1\2 inch but the garden hose just will not fit on.tried heating it up but no go!  Then I tried a 5\8" garden hose and it fit perfect? Go figure. We tried to pick a hose up in Mezcales the other day at the local hardware store (ferreteria) but they were out of 5\8! 
So on it goes.


Because I have not had this HVAC flushed since we had it, this is what to expect. 
It should be flushed once a year and in our case twice a year 
because of the cloudy estuary water at this marina.
Bad clamp!
      
 This is a simple video of the water flow from our stateroom Mermaid 5200 btu HVAC unit. We can now compare the flow here to the flow we get after flushing the unit with acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment