Hammock

 We are interested in getting a hammock.
 We were looking at this one at Blue Performance:
blueperformance.com


 Only it is for just one person. Perhaps Debbie and I would like to both be in it at the same time? Also it is a bit expensive. Debbie put the word out to her forums and here is one comprehensive response.

"GREAT idea about getting a hammock for life on a boat! Many of us have them and use them often. But wait to make a purchase until you get here! Hammocks are plentiful and inexpensive everywhere in Mexico and Central America. They are made here and used everyday in most local homes.


I took a look at the two you were considering and frankly, I think they are overkill - both in design as well as in price. Save your money for a month's worth of cold cervezas!


My first hammock was made from rather thick cotton cording and had stretcher bars at both ends. I hung that one on the bow from the jib to the mast on my sloop. Many, many hours were spent rocking during what I call "hammock time" which is almost like meditation (really more like vegging but meditation sounds so new age).


The intense tropical sun took it's toll on the cotton and I started to break cords and eventually fell through it in after 3 years of use one evening in Cartegena, Colombia. Thank goodness I'm larger than the hatch to the V-berth that was open just below the hammock! No injuries except to my pride.


By that time I had experienced many other hammocks during my travels so I knew what I wanted for a replacement.


#1: No spreader bars. Sure, these look great and are very nice while on land, but most of the anchorages on the Mexican Pacific coast can get quite rolly. I would sway and sway, and SWAY way up in the air until I almost would fall out. The style that most locals use doesn't have these bars so that the hammock wraps around your body. This makes them great for boats and much more secure.


#2: Say "no" to nylon. The cheap nylon cording used on a lot of hammocks is quite colorful, but it "bites" into your skin after a while. Remember it's hot down here, so you're not wearing much clothing when visiting your hammock.


#3: Cotton is comfy - but it is also subject to sun damage and gets ugly splotches of mildew during the rainy season. Kind of a trade off. This is my material of choice.


#4: Solid woven fabrics don't breathe enough for this region - just too hot and I sweat against the fabric. Besides you can't see what is going on around you and ogle the beautiful surroundings.


#5: Price. There are tourist prices and local prices. I have paid as little as $4 for my favorite hammock and as much as $14 for a 2 color cotton one. You will see much higher prices for the gringos in any area with cruise ships. Take a cheap local bus and head out to the smaller towns to make your purchases. The big fancy "matrimonial" hammocks for 2 people can run from $35 and up.


My favorite hammock is made from strips of knitted jersey (cotton t-shirt material) probably leftover from a clothing manufacturer. Once I spent some time in one of these puppies I was sold forever. Not only are they cheap ($4 from a street vendor in Guatemala), but they are very soft. The fabric itself stretches at the same time that the hammock weave does so you get a nice secure "fit".


Enjoy your hammocks! Purchase more than one or you'll have to develop a schedule of who gets the hammock when. We have added one that hangs from our boom."


Terry
s.v. Niki Wiki, Gulfstar Sailmaster 50
Rio Dulce, Guatemala
http://www.sailingk nitter.blogspot. com

No comments:

Post a Comment