Bottom cleaning in anchorage in Santiago, Mexico - 2019

Anchored in Santiago, Mexico I took this video before we cleaned the bottom. 
Then there is the other video of one after cleaning the bottom.
April 2019 - We are currently anchored in Santiago, Mexico 
Debbie in my full 3/2 wetsuit - she does the water line while I do the bottom.
 The bottom was not cleaned for about 3 weeks. Last time we cleaned the bottom we were in Cuastecomate anchorage in Mexico and this time we are in Santiago, Mexico. Cuastecomates was bouncy and so the bottom was not cleaned perfectly, I had a hard time with the bouncing boat. Had to do it because red tide was coming that day and it would be a while before we could clean it again. The red tide lasted for three weeks and by that time we were in Santiago anchorage. There were some small barnacles and lots of sea urchins for lack of a better term. Lots of little critters were swimming around as I scrapped off the bottom. Debbie said she looked like a character from
'Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales' with critters crawling around her wet suit while she was waiting for me to finish!.
She got out out of the water because she had equipment failure - the suction cup she uses to stay at the water line would not stay stuck on the boat...looks like a new one will be in order for next season!
 I could still use a bit more weight. I took off a three pounder yet that didn't help. I could possibly remove the bigger one which I am guessing is 5 pounds and put the 3 back on.
OK ready to dive my whopping 5.5 feet down😀 
The water temperature is about 77 degrees F or 25 degrees C
Here is our boat bottom cleaned. We are at anchor in Santiago, Mexico and this is our 36' Islander Freeport. Yes we could use a bottom job. Our boat does fine however. We have an encapsulated keel meaning it is not bolted on it is part of the boat. A skeg hung rudder. This shows the underside of the keel and as best as I could get of the bottom. 
 This shows the space between the cone zinc and the prop. There should be none.
I am moving a washer back and forth with my finger. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment