HVAC flushing, both units, ready for summer - 2020

 We did both HVAC units. This is our Mermaid Marine Air 12000 btu unit
The Mermaid Marine Air 5200 btu unit we did not long ago but because the water came out so dirty we decided to flush it again. We did get a bit more out. We also put in a new stainless steel sea strainer as the old one had some gaps.
April 2020 - Anchored in the  Bahia de Navidad Lagoon, Mexico 
 
 While we were flushing the stateroom HVAC unit (5200 btu) I decided to put the SS strainer in the bucket to clean it in case I wanted to repair it. I was a bit leary as I may dump it with the bucket as I could not see it. Sure enough, I did😏 
 To do the Mermaid Marine Air  2000 btu unit we had to change some hoses. At present we are flushing the 5200 unit from the thru-hull valve to the "out" thru-hull valve, or the end of the hose to it. The muriatic acid goes through the sea strainer and March LC-3CP-MD pump . I was assured by other cruisers that the acid would not damage the March LC-3CP-MD pump. However I am a bit leary so until we prove by running the HVAC for a while we are just flushing the 12000 btu unit and not the pump etc. The acid can etch stainless steel so we removed the ss strainer before we flush it. 
 
We purchased this at the Comex paint store in Bahía de Navidad in the barrio.
 
 Putting aflashlightt to the water, trying to see how black it is. 
Yep, it is turning black and as the 20 min goes on that we let it flush, more comes out.
Then we flush with fresh water for 20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment