Galley sink is now plumbed - 2011

 Went to the boat after work and was going to do one of three projects or a little of each as it usually turns out. This time however all of one got done. 
March 2011 - At Marina Cortez Harbor IslandSan Diego, CA

The three are:
The sink – we could use it right now and need it when we move onboard
Refer - we could use it right now and need it when we move onboard
Electrical- needs doing and can be worked on with the boat tore up.


Got to the boat and there were no floor boards. 
All taken up by Owen for the deck install. 
So I started on the sink and decided to try a hole saw for making the passage for the weight that helps the faucet hose go down. 
It now gets stuck on the shelf. Remember I forgot to do this before we installed the sink.
The braided line and weight go to the Delta one touch faucet.
 So I drilled one pilot hole for the hole saw after fitting the hole saw. The hole put the hole saw too close to the hole that the drain hose to the through hole valve is going through. We do not want to widen the hole out because it will leave a C shape and chafe the hose. So I moved the pilot hole in a bit towards the faucet. The drilled the hole with the hole saw. 
 It was not bad going because of the 90 deg drill attachment Debbie got me. Then tried the faucet pull out to see if the weight passed through. It did but it would bang on the edges closest to the exhaust hose. Here I was reluctant to use a power tool so I used and hand hack saw blade to cut out that are.
 The big work had been done with the whole saw. Next it was the sanding etc.
 The hose from the faucet now passes up and down without hitting anything or resting on the shelf. It does require some assistance when going back in as it rubs against the exhaust hose. Not bad but just enough to slow it down. We will add some plastic chafe wrapping to the faucet hose just in case but I doubt it would ever rub enough to chafe anything.


Now  for the plumbing.
 The hose from the through hole valve we replaced when the engine was out of the boat making it easier. It was a bit long. So again I used the hand hack saw blade saw?? Make sense? 
We cut the wire with some dikes and it was done. Had to sweet it that I did not cut it too short as replacing it now would not be easy😨.
 Then I cut the extra hose off the new bilge pump hose that goes to the yet to be installed through hull and valve. Then I measured it by holding it in place and cutting it. Had to do this a couple time to get it right, the length that is. It went in hard as it is steel re-enforced rubber hose and short. We chose not to use the heavy exhaust hose for the sink drains so it would be easier to install the two drain hoses. Got the port side hose on as it was the easiest to do as it is the longest. The hoses were not hard to slide onto the fittings they were hard because the are stiff and hard to bend. There was one point on the starboard T that I could not get the starboard hose on to the T so the T and the other hose had to come off and I sanded down the T on the starboard side and put it all back together. 
 It was lucky to get it out and the hose off again. There is not that much room to work in there. The louvered door is off but you need to sit on the deck and work sideways.  Then got the starboard hose on and it was not so easy. Did get it on but the force of the hose moved my new beloved centered drain to the starboard side and it is not centered any more. Dam!
So put the hose clamps on and put water in the sink and let it set a while and now leaks from the drains.
You can see the missing hose clamp and some missing clamp end guards on the exhaust hoses (red).
Will finish these off this weekend.
 Now after thinking about it overnight I can see my folly. I should have heated the hose when it was off and formed it then installed it. That way it would have fit right, no force needed. Now I have been thinking of removing the hoses again and re-doing the install but first heating the hoses and then forming them. Then I decided that was a bad idea. Bottom line is it works. I may heat the hoses in place and that would remove any stress on them, they would form in place. As for the off center drain I will test the sink for drainage. If it drains fine then it will be a done deal. If it does not then I will have to take a chance and remove the hose and try some channel locks on the white not on the drain itself to see if it will loosen enough to move it over. The danger here is it may then just spin in place leaking and I might not be able to re- tighten it or get the hut off. That would be nightmare. It could be an all day job just getting the drain out then, it would need to be cut out. The adaptor on the drain could be removed but the pieces are plastic so the threads would be suspect after messing with them. Could be they would strip out on re-installing them. Better to remove them and replace them but hay that’s a potential disaster in the making. So let’s see how it drains and being off center is not so bad. That is actually how they were before we removed the sink, I thought I could do better, guess not.
 Really now I am not a plumber so that and the sink has been out for months now are my flimsy excuses. We left the sink out so the engine exhaust hoses could be installed more easily. If we had installed it soon after we took it out I may have remembered to form the hoses with heat before installing them. Maybe not but would have had a better shot because we still had the old hoses to use as templates.
 Could not test the rest as there is one hose clamp missing and the through hole valve is under all the plastic we have covering the engine room for the teak and holy sole mess.
What’s that saying, “If it aint broke don’t fix it”? Now if I can just hold to it :)


 One other bit of info here. I found that elusive second pipe wrench. You will never guess where it was! Yep sitting right in the bottom of the tool bag. Of course I looked there so go figure, once again my looking missed it 😕

No comments:

Post a Comment