Varnish prep outside of caprail in Barra de Navidad lagoon - 2021

We are anchored in the Bahia de Navidad Lagoon and while here in the flat lagoon, I am prepping the outside of the caprail using the dinghy...removing excess caulking and sanding then taping.
January 2021 - Anchored in the Bahia de Navidad Lagoon

The dark areas are where I scraped off the caulking from the caprail.
Here you can see where I removed the caulking that was too far up on the caprail. This I did for the whole length of the caprail on both sides.
Then sanded off any remaining caulking.
Next I sanded the outside edge of the caprail to make it ready to varnish. Then taped it.
So the outside of the starboard caprail is all prepped for varnish before we leave the lagoon. At our next anchorage I can varnish from the boat (after finishing prepping the top of the caprail) and not need to use the dinghy for the outside edge. It is usually more lumpy at an anchorage other than the lagoon so doing the taping, prepping etc. is harder while bouncing around.
 I will add four coats of varnish to the caprails.
Working from our Achilles LSI-310E dinghy in the water.
In the video I talked about the afternoon blow. Well it happened the same day. We got a blow of over 20 knots and we have had over 30 knots at times
This is the forecast for the lagoon via the Predict Wind app...too bad it is not very accurate as we had a lot more wind😏
Here is the lagoon with a slight fetch. As I said, no waves like in a normal anchorage if you had this kind of wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment