Putting pay days on end of boom for topping lift removal - 2018

Debbie brought us back two pay days
to put on the end of the boom for the stack pack tie down. 


May 2018- Currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico
These Sea-Dog, Oblong Eye Plate, Backing Plate,
Stamped 304 Stainless Steel will work fine for us.
I did the usual drill tap routine except this time with #10 screws, I didn't drill a pilot hole as the hole was so small. Also, I used the drill to hold the tap as my tap holder was too big for this size of tap. I will need to look into getting a smaller tap holder. The drill does fine just being careful not to break off the tap. The boat was moving around some in the surge and boat wakes. The boom was also moving a bit back and forth. The tap was a bit bent so it was oblong when using the drill. Not enough to wreck the hole but enough to be discerning.
I tested the first screw to make sure it would work.
Then on with the task.
Got the first screw in and positioned the pad eye
then drilled the next hole and tapped etc.
I used LanoCote  (LanoCote will prevent dissimilar metal galvanization
among other things) and then waxed up the area. All looks good and works fine.
I wanted to put the Sea-Dog, Oblong Eye Plate, Backing Plate, Stamped 304 Stainless Steel  up higher more out of sight but the flat surface of the boom made for better holding.
Ialso did not know what was inside the boom in the top area
and there are two sheaves there that mount somewhere inside the boom. 
I played it safe and mounted on the side. I tried to remove the end cap on the boom but only got it to slide out part way...not enough to see what's inside. The end cap wraps around the topping lift and out-haul lines. 
Anyway, all done and the Stack Pack type sail bag is now not tied off to the topping lift which made adjusting the topping lift hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment