Honda 9.9 hp outboard oil drain screw mystery figured out - 2013

September 2013 - currently in Paradise Village Marina in Banderas Bay Mexico (by Puerto Vallarta)
I even wrote instruction for next time. If only I would read them?

 Well in Bahia de Navidad we tried to change the Honda 9.9 hpoutboard engine oil. It was time as the service manual said so. I could not get the screw out for the all the hammering I did! So we pumped it out from the dip stick. That works OK but does not get all the old oil out.
 When we went to the US the last time we stopped by the Dingy Doctor and they demonstrated how them use the impact screw driver to remove the screw. Ok then it must be me.

 Sure enough I was tightening the screw instead of loosing it. What the heck, I never was any good with those impact screw drivers. When we owned the Harley for 22 years I tried that tool sever times but just do not get it.

 When installing a piece of 1\2 marine plywood for the 600 amp bus I drilled a hole for the screws for the bus. I put one in and used the impact screw driver and tested the screw several times by whacking the driver with a glass hammer. The whole impact driver thing still makes no sense to me but it does work. The direction on the handle with the arrows mean to me that you put the driver in the screw and then turn the handle to direction of the arrow for which way you want the screw to go. Then whack it with the hammer. The turn it again and whack it etc until the screw is loose.

 It still does mechanically make sense to me but obviously am missing something. Guess it does not need to as long as I can use it. And use it I did! I put that sucker back on that screw on the Honda 9.9 outboard. The outboard is mounted on the stern and I had to do some reaching and squirming by the SS supports but was able to whack it with a hammer a couple times and bingo the screw came loose.
The screw in question.
 Now I was really wondering if I had damaged it or if it would ever come out again because I really hammered it tight with a big glass hammer in Barra-Bahia de Navidad. Thankfully it came loose!
Now this impact driver is my new best friend! I even cleaned it and oiled it all up :)

 This time we will run the outboard right where it is with the hose connected to it and the gas of course. Then after it is wormed up we will change the oil and other service it my require in the next six months. That way while cruising we do not need to mess with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment